Sunday, August 1, 2010

Movie Reviews: Hot Tub Time Machine

Kick some past

Directed by: Steve Pink

Written by: Josh Heald, Sean Anders, John Morris

Starring: John Cusack, Clark Duke, Craig Robinson, Ron Corddy, Sebastian Stan, Lyndsy Fonseca, Crispin Glover, Chevy Chase

Four friends, depressed about the direction of their lives, revisit an old, favorite vacation spot and find themselves whisked back to 1986 with the potential to rewrite history.

John Cusack has starred in some great films. This is not one of them.

To be honest, I sort of went to this movie by accident. It was circumstantial. I was a little depressed and also needed to kill a lot of time out of the house, and I decided a comedic movie was the best way to do so. I had a gift card I wanted to use, which limited the theaters I could go to, and this film happened to be playing at the right theater and at the right time.

My expectations going into it were very low, but I'm pleased to report that it was better than I was expecting. Not that it's actually a great film, but I had set my expectations suitably low and therefore was lightly amused for 90 minutes.

The premise is somewhat silly (hot tub goes on the fritz because of a banned Russian energy drink?), and the hijinks in the past ... well, it's safe to say that the trailer probably covered the best of them. It's hard to imagine pushing this for any of the positive awards. But I guess that depends on how the year turns out.

My grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment