2015 Cosmo Awards Trivia
- Four films tied for the most awards, each winning four awards: Avengers: Age of Ultron; Ex Machina; Mad Max: Fury Road; and The Revenant. They tie with The Aviator and Garden State in 2004 for the fewest wins for the top-winning films of the year.
- This year, no films with multiple nominations swept all of their awards. The highest winning ratios were for Ex Machina and Mad Max: Fury Road, which each won four out of five (80%) of their nominations. There have been multi-nominated film sweeps in six other years, while four other years – 2002, 2003, 2010, and 2014 – also did not have any multi-nominated sweeps.
- No individual won more than one award this year. This has only happened three other times in Cosmo history: in 2006, 2013, and 2014. Usually someone wins two awards, though only once (in 2003 with Johnny Depp and Charlize Theron) has more than one person won two awards in the same year. No one has ever won more than two awards in the same year.
- In 2015, Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara tied for the most individual nominations of the year with four nominations each, the first year that more than one person has received that many nominations in a single year. No one has ever had more than four nominations in a single year, though five others tie this record (Ian McKellen in 2003, Natalie Portman in 2004, Anne Hathaway in 2012, Chloë Grace Moretz in 2013, and Scarlett Johansson in 2014).
- For the second year in a row, and for only the second time in Cosmo history, the winner or one of the winners (in the event of a tie) of Best Film did not also win for either of the two major genre awards: Best Drama or Best Comedy (which was Best Comedy/Musical in some years). In 2015, The Martian won Best Film but wasn’t even nominated for either of the two major genre awards. In 2014, Boyhood won Best Film but similarly wasn’t nominated for either of the two major genre awards.
- The Martian is the first Best Picture winner in Cosmo history to not win any other awards. It was nominated for a total of ten awards.
- Cate Blanchett, who received four individual nominations in 2015 (including one win), has received a total of 20 individual Cosmo nominations, more than any other individual, and has won five individual awards, also the most. Ian McKellen, who was nominated and won this year’s Best Actor of All Time Lifetime Achievement, has received the second-most individual nominations, 14, but Julianne Moore and Charlize Theron are tied for receiving the second most number of awards with four each.
- Cate Blanchett also hold the record for receiving nominations in the most years of the awards (ten out of the awards’ 12 years), followed by Ian McKellen, Rosalind Russell, and Meryl Streep who have received nominations in eight out of 12 years. Cate Blanchett also holds the record for the most years winning an award, having won awards in five of the ten years she was nominated.
Overall as of the 2015 Awards
- Rosalind Russell’s three individual awards over eight individual nominations are both records for anyone whose career and lifespan predates the origination of the Cosmique Movie Awards. Her most recent nomination was at the 2012 awards.
- A total of 567 performers and directors have received at least one individual nomination over the years. Of these, 381 (67%) have only received nominations in a single year. Of the 186 (33%) who’ve received nominations in multiple years, 89 (16%) have received nominations in two different years, 51 (9%) have received nominations in three different years, 24 (4%) received nominations in four different years, and 22 (4%) have received nominations in five or more years.
- Of the 567 performers and directors who have received nominations over the years, 337 (59%) have only received one nomination, while another 103 (18%) have received just two nominations over the years. Of these 103, 41 of them received both nominations the same year. The remaining 127 people have received three or more nominations over the years.
- Of the individuals who’ve only been nominated in a single year, Rooney Mara holds the record for the most individual nominations with four, followed by Sean Astin and Katharine Hepburn with three each.
- Nicole Kidman continues to hold the record for the most individual nominations (ten nominations over seven years) without winning an individual award. She has also shared in five ensemble nominations but none of them won, tying with Halle Berry, Jennifer Lawrence, and Julia Roberts for the most ensemble nominations without an ensemble win. But Berry, Lawrence, and Roberts all have individual wins.