There are pros and cons to this, of course.
- Science fiction and fantasy films are hugely popular among Cosmo voters (most of the top-nominated films of all time have been in these genres), and are the ones voters are most likely to have seen.
- Separating into two categories allows us to recognize the achievements of more films.
- Many are fans of one of the genres but not both. Fans of hard-core science fiction sometime find their favorites crowded out by superheroes, and vice versa.
- The number of categories is already pretty overwhelming.
- It can be sometimes challenging to decide whether a film like The X-Men belongs in science fiction or in fantasy (though when lines are blurred, it's conceivable a film may get nominated in both).