Thursday, July 3, 2014

Aquaman has always been one of my favorites

Okay, random post apropos of nothing (except I hear Aquaman has a cameo in "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," and there are rumors of a spin-off movie), but Aquaman has long been one of my favorite DC superheroes. I always loved him in the 1970s "Super Friends" television series, and I never understood why other people always gave him such a hard time.

This handy infographic helps explain why:



His powers are pretty bad-ass in the right environment. A summary from the infographic:

  • He can breath underwater
  • He can survive at the bottom of the ocean
  • He has enhanced super senses
  • He's as strong as Superman
  • He has powerful telepathic abilities
  • He can command all aquatic life -- whales, sharks, dolphins, and more.
Oh, sure, he needs to be in the ocean or a great sea for his powers to be particularly useful. But since water covers over 70% of the earth's surface, most of that in oceans, I think that gives him a pretty damn big territory to work with.

I'm not entirely thrilled with the casting of Khal Drogo as Aquaman. Too big and barbarian-like, in my opinion. If I were doing the casting, I'd make him more like a Santa Cruz surfer dude. And I'd tweak the costume: yes to speedos, no to tights. The makers of "Smallville" made a pilot for a potential "Aquaman" series that I was fortunate enough to see, and it did an excellent job capturing my own vision. I think it would have been awesome if it had become a full-fledged series. Sadly, it wasn't picked up.

But regardless, it's plain to me that Aquaman gets a bad rap. His powers are pretty bad-ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment