Sunday, December 12, 2010

Movie Reviews: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

An epic of epic epicness.

Michael Cera manages to turn his always delightful hapless-in-love persona into an action hero in this big screen adaptation of Bryan Lee O'Malley's graphic novels when he discovers, after starting to fall for a new girl, that he must defeat her seven evil exes in order to win her heart.

The film itself is presented as part video game, part graphic novel, a clever approach that helps rather than hinders the final film. Anything less might have made the film seem like it was taking itself too seriously. The ensemble cast in wonderful (including Cosmo fave and now Oscar nominee Anna Kendrick). The cinematography and effects are good. But even so, something dragged with the script. Something felt lacking. I wish I could put my finger about what it was, but I really can't. All I really have, in the end, is a feeling. In the end, I felt satisfied but a little underwhelmed after all the hype. Still recommended, but I'm glad I waited for video.

My Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment