Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Movie Reviews: Girl Most Likely (2013)

She has a lot to live up to. And a few things to live down.

Directors: Shari Springer Berman, Robert Pulcini

Writer: Michelle Morgan

Stars: Kristen Wiig, Annette Bening, Matt Dillon, Darren Criss



Synopsis: Tepid romantic comedy with a talented cast wasted on a script that is more flat than funny.
IMDB lists Girl Most Likely as a 2012 film, but it didn’t get a U.S. release until July of 2013, and even that was a limited theatrical run. That should have been my first clue that it wasn’t exactly a worthy successor of Kristen Wiig’s Bridesmaids.

But I loved Bridesmaids. It was unexpectedly funnier than the typical rom-com. Annette Bening is a two-time Best Actress Cosmo winner.  And I was so curious to see “Glee’s” Darren Criss in a feature film. So after confirming that it was technically eligible for the 2013 Cosmique Movie Awards, I put it in my Netflix queue.

Sadly, it just didn’t work. The talented cast was wasted on a script that was more flat than funny. I love Darren Criss’ fresh innocence, but he and Kristen Wiig had absolutely no chemistry. They seemed more like good friends than romantic interests.

I really don’t know where this might end up on my Cosmo ballot. Not bad enough to merit Worst Movie, but not good enough for even a Guilty Pleasure nod unless I’m desperate. It was just … eh.

Rating: 2 ½ stars


No comments:

Post a Comment